5 Simple Steps To Starting a WordPress Blog By Yourself
WordPress is becoming increasingly popular, with about 33% of all websites worldwide running on the platform. So, if you are looking to join the crowd by starting a WordPress blog or moving your existing blog to the WordPress platform, you are going the right direction. There are numerous advantages of the WordPress platform; it is notably free and offers a comprehensive management system that allows you to add or update contents as you wish. You also have a lot of powerful plugins that can improve your experience, and ultimately give your blog a flexible and customized feel.
In this article, we have provided you with the five simple steps to having your own WordPress blog. Check them out below.
1. Register a domain name
Looking to start a WordPress blog? You have two options – the first is to host your website directly on wordpress.com, and the second is to register your domain name and then install your blog there. The second option is much better, considering that it makes your website more valuable with more traffic. Having your blog on WordPress.com, on the other hand, means all the benefits that come with the growth of your blog goes to WordPress.
While trying to come up with a domain name, it is not compulsory that you infuse a lot of keywords. Instead, focus more on a short and simple name that can be easily built into a brand. A .com name is good if you are looking to get traffic worldwide, but if you are interested in country-specific traffic, you can choose a country-specific domain. For example, .fr for a blog in France, and .ie for a blog in Ireland.
A good first impression is essential for new blogs, i.e., excellent contents, logo, and overall layout. Likewise, ensure that such a new blog offers the highest possible value. You really need to do all you can to make your blog stand out among the over 100 million blogs currently on the internet.
2. Select a Hosting Provider
The role of your web host is to keep all your blog/website’s files safe and accessible to all your visitors. Thus, after picking a domain name, the next step is deciding on your blog’s host. There are a couple of options when it comes to hosting:
- Virtual/Dedicated Machine – With this option, your website and other websites share the same resources on a machine. It is ideal for new blogs with low traffic. However, you will most likely require a dedicated machine when your blog starts developing and getting more traffic. A dedicated machine means that only your blog can access your resources.
- Bandwidth – Your website or blog’s bandwidth is the amount or level of restrictions imposed on your website. Hence, the best is to have unlimited bandwidth. Although this doesn’t translate to unlimited restriction, it means that you get more bandwidth if you have too many visitors.
- Cost – The cost depends on what features and provisions the hosting provider is offering. Check all the packages properly to ensure that you are getting the best value for money.
- Support – Always work with a hosting provider that offers 24/7 support for your blog.
- Uptime – You will hardly find a hosting provider that stays 100% up. You can determine how much uptime your hosting provider can offer by checking their records. Aim for 99.99% uptime or higher at all times.
3. WordPress Installation
The next step is the installation of WordPress. Start by downloading the latest version of the program from WordPress.org. You can start the installation process once you have uploaded all your files to the server. You can contact your host for an easy WordPress installation process. After a successful installation, WordPress will assign a theme to you by default, thus making it possible for you to start blogging immediately. Use the content management system to put up your contents; however, do not expect a professional blog in the end.
4. Switch to your theme
As mentioned above, WordPress provides you with a default theme. However, having your own theme as wells as your own logo gives your blog a better overall appearance. You can create the logo on your own using online services such as Logaster. As for the theme, developers have created several WordPress themes you can choose from, or you can ask a developer to create a unique customized theme for you. If you are interested in a customized theme, note that it costs more and takes more time. You can also buy some themes from Themeforest, Themelab, and Mythemeshop.
5. Integrate your Essentials and Plugins
Although you will get some functionality from your WordPress theme, integrating essentials and plugins into your WordPress will make it even better. These add-ons include:
- Google Analytics – You can track the visitors to your website, once you add your Google Analytics code to all the pages of your blog.
- Yoast WordPress SEO Plugin – This plugin offers a lot of benefits, including the creation of a sitemap.
- Editorial Calendar – An editorial calendar is essential for all blogs, whether one or multiple persons manage it.
- Social-Sharing Plugin – It comes handy for sharing your blog contents. An example is Flare.
- Better Security – While the default themes offer some security, you will need to work with a developer to beef up the security of your blog. For instance, a well-secured blog should not have its admin area accessible via the website/wp-admin page. Likewise, the login credentials should not be “admin” as the username.
- Change Permalink Structure – This offers you user-friendly URLs for your blog pages. To activate this, go to SETTINGS, then PERMALINKS, and COMMON SETTINGS. Finally, choose the “POST NAME” OPTION.
- Other Plugins – You can check the internet for more plugins you can integrate into your blog.
WordPress has proven itself as a reliable platform when it comes to building a blog. With millions of websites built on the platform over the past years, you can trust the platform for building a new blog or completing an upgrade of your current non-WordPress blog. Lastly, the platform is free, user-friendly, and very easy to use.
Do you want to share your WordPress experience with us? Feel free to post your opinions in the comment box below.