How to Add Stripe Donate Button on WordPress?
Are you looking to add a Stripe donate button on your WordPress site? Stripe is the online payment processor that makes it easier to accept credit card payments including donations.
In this article, we will discuss the simplest way to add a Stripe donate button on WordPress.
We will cover:
- How to Get Stripe API Keys?
- How to Add a Stripe Button on WordPress website using the Stripe Payment Plugin?
At the end of this blog, you will learn how to embed the Stripe donate button on your products in an easy way.
With that being said, let’s get this tutorial started:
i) How to Get Stripe API Keys?
In order to add the Stripe donate button for any products, you will need to the Stripe API keys that connects your WordPress site to the Stripe payment service process.
To get the API keys, you will need to create a free Stripe account.
You can create the stripe account from here.
After you have created the Stripe account, go to Developer > API Keys to get the API keys.
You can find 2 types of API keys, i.e.
- Test API Keys: You can use it to test the donate button safely without having to spend any real payment details.
- Live API Keys: You can use it when you start accepting payments for real.
Copy these API key safely, as you will need them while configuring the plugin.
ii) How to Add Stripe Donate Button With Stripe Payment?
Now that you have got the API keys, its time to add the Stripe donate button on WordPress website.
Step 1: Installation and Activation
The first thing you do is install and activate Stripe Payment plugin from WordPress.org.
Step 2: Add API Keys and Configure Basic Settings
Then, go to Stripe Payment >> Settings to add your API keys.
Since you are adding the Stripe button for the first time, make sure that Live Mode is not checked.
You can also configure the currency for your donate button and change its button text as well.
Step 3: Adding a New Product
Now go to Stripe Payment >> Add New Product.
Here, you can find lots of options to configure. However, most of them are unnecessary to add a simple donation button.
The settings that you need to configure are:
- Short Description: To display a short description of the product.
- Price and Currency: To add the price and currency for donation. If you want your visitor to donate the custom amount, leave the price blank.
- Thank You Page URL: To redirect your users to a special thank you page after the donation.
Now that you have created the product, click on the “view” link to check out the donate button.
Since you are in the testing mode, you can test out the donation button by entering the dummy data.
Once everything is fine, go to Stripe Payment >> Settings to turn on the Live Mode.